In Washington, the terms divorce and dissolution of marriage are synonymous. The distinction between the terms is the Washington State Legislature’s choice to use “dissolution of marriage” as the legal term for divorce. In order to obtain a divorce decree in Washington, you are required to meet the following conditions:

■ You must be legally married or have achieved common-law marriage status in a state that recognizes common-law marriage. Washington does not recognize common-law marriage.

■ Either you or your spouse must be a Washington resident and plan to remain living in Washington. If you or your spouse is a member of the military, and will be stationed in Washington for a minimum of 90 days after the Petition for Dissolution is filed and served, the residency requirement is satisfied.

■ At least one spouse believes the marriage is irretrievably broken.

■ As the party filing for divorce, you must properly serve a Summons and Petition for Dissolution upon your spouse.

■ Subsequent to filing and serving the Petition for Dissolution, at least 90 days must pass.

At Eagle Law Offices, P.S., our attorneys represent your interest in divorce and all family law matters. Our attorneys, along with the assistance of our skilled staff, will work with you in preparing all necessary documents and presenting your needs to the court in order to achieve the best possible outcome. Through decades of practicing family law, Paul Eagle has provided legal advice and assistance to hundreds of people in divorce proceedings.

If you are facing dissolution of your marriage and need a divorce attorney, please contact Eagle Law Offices, P.S. at 206.426.6961 to discuss your divorce or marriage dissolution circumstances.